Heidelberg University, located in Tiffin, Ohio, is rising! With the implementation of a new academic strategic plan, we are seeking qualified candidates passionate about sharing their knowledge, implementing strategies for student engagement and success, and building a community of education excellence. The Department of History and Political Science invites applications for a full-time Visiting Assistant Professor in Political Science, beginning in August 2018. This position is in the School of Communication, Humanities, Social Sciences, and the Arts, one of four schools recently implemented within the new organizational structure of Academic Affairs. The Department seeks a broadly trained individual whose primary focus is American Politics/Government.
The Visiting Assistant Professor of Political Science provides instruction and advisement to undergraduate students. This faculty appointment includes a full-time teaching load in addition to office hours, advisement, committee work, research and opportunities for continued professional development. The Visiting Assistant Professor of Political Science reports directly to the Chair of the History and Political Science Department.
The successful applicant will teach Introduction to Politics and Government, a gateway course for the Political Science major, and the following courses/topics in American Politics/Government: Introduction to American Government, Congress, the Presidency, Judicial Politics (Courts, Constitution, Civil Liberties), State & Local Politics, and Campaigns & Elections. The successful applicant will be expected to teach some or all of the following courses during the three-year appointment: Research Methods (qualitative and quantitative), Political Philosophy, African History & Politics, and American History since 1865. The successful applicant will also oversee the Department’s Washington, D.C., internship/academic program. This three-year position carries a 12-credit hour teaching load per semester (4 courses) and the possibility of renewal.
The successful candidate will have demonstrated experience, qualifications and abilities, including:
- Ph.D. or ABD in Political Science with at least two years of college-level teaching experience.
- Demonstrated analytical and strategic thinking abilities.
- Demonstrated strong commitment to student centered active learning and student engagement activities.
- Willingness to participate and engage in responsibilities, campus efforts and activities during the day, evenings, and /or weekends at both on-campus and off-campus in order to be part of a community that supports education excellence and student success.
- Demonstrated experience, knowledge and appreciation for a liberal arts tradition.
- Commitment and a demonstrated record of academic excellence with professional and personal integrity.
- Demonstrated excellent interpersonal, written and verbal communication and problem- solving skills.
- A demonstrated work ethic that promotes teamwork, enhances creativity and motivation, and builds consensus in a high-energy and high-task environment.
- Ability to manage several projects simultaneously.
In addition, the ideal candidate will model Heidelberg University’s core values of integrity, honesty, humility, transparency, respectfulness, diversity, caring, loyalty, and accountability in all work.
For consideration, or to obtain additional information, please visit www.heidelberg.edu/careers. Review of candidates will begin upon receipt and will continue until the position has been filled.