The Department of Sociology at California State University, Fullerton, invites candidates to apply for a tenure-track position at the rank of Assistant Professor to begin Fall 2018 semester. CSUF values and is dedicated to the goal of building a diverse community. We strongly encourage applications from candidates who can demonstrate through their teaching, research or service that they can contribute to the diversity and excellence of our community.
The Department invites applicants with primary teaching and research specialties in Political Sociology. The following secondary areas are especially desirable : Social Movements, Education, Technology and Society, and Social Media. Candidates must be able to and be enthusiastic about teaching undergraduate and graduate courses in Social Theory.
Additional teaching expectations include upper/lower division courses and graduate seminars. Faculty also provide academic advisement, participate in department, university, professional and community service, and engage in scholarly endeavors resulting in peer-reviewed publications. Positive tenure/promotion decisions require high quality teaching, peer-reviewed publications, and service to the Department and University.
- A Ph.D. in Sociology or a relevant field by August 2018 is required. To be considered, ABD applicants must include with their application materials, transcripts and supporting documentation (i.e. letters from advisors, indication of oral defense date, sample dissertation chapters, etc.) supporting that their degree completion will occur before August 2018.
- Evidence of successful teaching. Please provide copies of student evaluations with interpretive information. Additional evidence of high quality teaching is welcome.
- A realistic research agenda and evidence of on-going involvement in research activity.
- Use of best practices and innovative instructional technologies in teaching.
- Demonstrated commitment to working successfully with a diverse student population.
- Ability to work and interact effectively with a culturally diverse range of students, faculty and staff.
- A background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily before any candidate can be offered a position with the CSU. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect application status of applicants or continued employment of current CSU employees who apply for the position.
Rank and Salary
The position is at the rank of Assistant Professor, tenure-track. Salary is commensurate with experience and qualifications. Salary is subject to budgetary authorization and any California State University System faculty contract increases. Additional pay opportunities for teaching in summer, intersession, and the new online Sociology Degree Completion Program may also be available. Summer research grants, moving expenses, start-up funds, and a reduced teaching load may be available. An excellent comprehensive benefits package is also offered which includes health/vision/dental plans; spouse, domestic partner, and/or dependent fee-waiver; access to campus child-care; and a defined-benefit retirement through the state system, along with optional tax-sheltering opportunities. For a detailed description of benefits, go to: http://hr.fullerton.edu/payroll_benefits/HealthCarePlans.php
A complete online application must be submitted in order to receive consideration. To apply, please go to: https://apps.fullerton.edu/facultyrecruitment to view all job listings and select 9695BR to begin the application process and provide the following materials:
- letter of application describing teaching and research experience and interests including the areas of specialization
- curriculum vita
- teaching philosophy statement
- teaching evaluations and other evidence of teaching excellence including copies of student evaluations with interpretive information
- additional evidence of high quality teaching
- graduate school transcript(s)
- documentation of research agenda
- a student success statement about your teaching or other experiences, successes, and challenges in teaching or working with a diverse student population (approximately one page, single-spaced)
- three letters of reference (see instruction below)
On the References page of the online application, enter information and email addresses for three referents who will provide a confidential letter of reference for your application. They will immediately receive a request via email along with information on uploading the letter. You will be able to verify that each letter has been received by CSUF by logging back in to the recruitment system.
Please direct all questions about the position to: Dr. Berna Torr, Recruitment Committee Chair at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Application Deadline: Position is open until filled.
Multiple positions may be hired from this recruitment based on the strength of the applicant pool.
The person holding this position is considered a mandated reporter under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
California State University Fullerton celebrates all forms of diversity and is deeply committed to fostering an inclusive environment within which students, staff, administrators and faculty thrive. Individuals interested in advancing the Universitys strategic diversity goals are strongly encouraged to apply. EEO employer. Reasonable accommodations will be provided for qualified applicants with disabilities who self-disclose.
California State University, Fullerton is a large, comprehensive, urban university with more than 4,100 full-and part-time faculty and staff members, and a diverse student body of 40,235 enrolled in Fall 2016. The university offers a broad spectrum of degree programs in liberal arts and sciences as well as applied and professional fields with 57 at the baccalaureate level and 52 graduate programs including a doctorate in education and doctor of nursing practice. Learning is preeminent at Cal State Fullerton. We combine the best qualities of teaching and research universities where actively engaged students, faculty and staff work in close collaborations to expand knowledge. Research and other creative activities are enhanced by the proximity of the campus to nationally recognized business, cultural, and educational institutions. Faculty members were awarded more than $21.4 million in grants and contracts for research and scholarly activities in 2015-16. The university has a longstanding tradition of collegial governance. Cal State Fullerton is strongly committed to achieving excellence through cultural diversity. CSUF is a designated Hispanic Serving Institution (the only one in Orange County) and an Asian American and Pacific Islander Serving Institution. We are ranked 6th in the nation in terms of baccalaureate degrees awarded to minorities. In addition to meeting fully its obligations under federal and state law, Cal State Fullerton is committed to creating a community in which a diverse population can live, work and learn in an atmosphere of tolerance, civility and respect for the rights and sensibilities of each individual. To that end, all qualified individuals will receive equal consideration without regard to economic status, race, ethnicity, color, religion, national origin or cultural background, political views, sex or sexual orientation, disability or Veteran’s status or other personal characteristics or beliefs.P