The Undergraduate School (TUS) at the University of Maryland University College (UMUC) seeks a Program Chair for its Bachelor of Arts degree program in Foreign Language and East Asian Studies, housed with the Communication, Arts & Humanities department. The new program chair will join one of the largest online institutions in the world, serving a global student population. Working adults, military personnel, and other students around the globe are achieving their academic goals through UMUC’s innovative educational options, including online instruction, accelerated academic programs, and classroom-based courses taught during the daytime, evenings, and weekends. UMUC offers on-site instruction in over 150 locations in the U.S., Asia, and Europe, including over 20 locations in the Maryland and greater D.C. area. One of 11 degree-granting institutions in the University System of Maryland (USM), UMUC is the largest public institution of higher education in the U.S., serving over 92,000 students annually, including over 70,000 undergraduates and 20,000 graduate students.
UMUC strives to reflect the diversity of the global community within which it exists. Cultural differences are valued as essential to the educational process and working environment. Candidates with an understanding of and appreciation for diversity are especially encouraged to apply.
SPECIFIC RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE:
- Developing project-based and competency-oriented curriculum in Foreign Languages and East Asian Studies
- Learning outcomes assessment and program improvement based on data and course revision
- Recruitment, management, development, and support of program faculty
- Staffing of Foreign Languages and East Asian Studies classes during multiple sessions and monitoring enrollments
- Supporting students in the program
- Other job-related duties as assigned
- This is an academic administrative position; program chairs teach one course onload each year
REQUIRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Master’s degree from a regionally accredited college or university a foreign language (literature, linguistics, or SLA), language pedagogy, East Asian Studies, or a related field
- At least three years of teaching experience at the university level
- Managerial experience in a professional/educational setting
- Experience in adult education, including online, face-to-face, and hybrid classrooms, with respect to development and delivery of foreign language or East Asian Studies classes
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Experience working in a fast-paced environment and the ability to foster and develop internal and external relationships to further develop the program are musts
PREFERRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Doctoral degree in a foreign language (literature, linguistics, or SLA), language pedagogy, East Asian Studies, or a related field
- Managerial experience in a demanding work environment, managing large number of employees, including remote employees
- Experience in curriculum design and development
- Knowledge of project- and competence- based approaches to teaching and learning
- Knowledge and expertise in current trends in the field of foreign language education and/or East Asian Studies
POSITION AVAILABLE SPRING, 2019 & WILL REMAIN OPEN UNTIL FILLED
SALARY COMMENSURATE WITH EXPERIENCE
All submissions should include a cover letter and resume. UMUC offers competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits for qualifying positions, such as tuition remission, generous leave and healthcare. For detailed benefits information, please visit: https://careers.umuc.edu/benefits.html.
The University of Maryland University College (UMUC) is an equal opportunity employer and complies with all applicable federal and state laws regarding nondiscrimination. UMUC is committed to a policy of equal opportunity for all persons and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, disability, religion, ancestry, political affiliation or veteran status in employment, educational programs and activities, and admissions.
If you are an external candidate, you will have the option to create an account after you submit your application. Passwords for external accounts must contain 8 characters including 1 uppercase letter, 1 number, and 1 special character. Please remember this password, as it will be required to apply to additional jobs.