Founded in 2002, NSC is a public four-year institution located on a developing 500-acre campus in the foothills of Henderson, Nevada, adjacent to Las Vegas. We emphasize high-quality instruction, exemplary service, engaging learning experiences, and innovation.
At Nevada State College, we celebrate the storied backgrounds of our campus community. We operate with a shared commitment to represent and serve the diverse population of Nevada and to encourage the exchange of ideas that respects and honors the lived experiences of our students, staff, and faculty. We foster a culture of inclusive excellence so our members can live authentically, fully engage, and flourish. In order to strengthen the college and progress its mission, the college dedicates itself to intentional and ongoing reflection to meeting the evolving needs of NSC, the surrounding communities, and the State of Nevada.
You will join the multidisciplinary Humanities department to help shape the Core Humanities and History programs at this young and dynamic institution. As a teaching college working with an underserved population, we place a high emphasis on translating our academic preparation into exemplary classroom experiences through our dedication to quality instruction and mentoring. You will work in technology-rich facilities (which include Symposium and lecture recording technology) and are encouraged to explore creative ideas and techniques to improve student learning.
- Teach two to three sections per semester of CH 203: American Experience and Constitutional Change, a course that focuses on U.S history, cultures, and civil rights struggles, in a variety of formats (e.g., in-person, hybrid, online).
- Teach at least one course per semester in your academic specialization in one or more of these areas: African American history, Latino/a American history, First Nations history, Asian American history, and/or a sub-specialization in African or Latin American history.
- Serve on departmental and college-wide committees.
Rank and Salary
- Lecturer, renewable contract.
- Salary at approximately $39,000 per year (for 9-month appointment). Opportunities for additional overload pay in winter and summer sessions.
- Excellent benefits, including 14.5% retirement match, 11 paid holidays, beginning balance of 30 sick leave days, educational benefits, and three health insurance plans that can be supplemented with flexible spending accounts or health savings accounts.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS REQUIRED:
- MA or PhD in history or a related field in the humanities.
- Ability to teach courses in the core humanities and history curriculum, including CH 203: American Experience and Constitutional Change.
- Demonstrated excellence in teaching and a genuine interest in joining NSC, a teaching college dedicated to providing opportunities for a largely underserved student population.
- Eligibility to work in the United States (NSC does not sponsor visas for international employees).
- Background in U.S. History with emphasis in the history of one of these cultural groups: African Americans, Latino/a Americans, Asian Americans, First Nations, and/or a sub-field in Latin American or African history.
- Experience with online or hybrid courses.