About Nevada State College
Nevada State College (NSC) is a four-year public college located on a 500-acre campus in the foothills of Henderson, Nevada (adjacent to Las Vegas). Our faculty members enjoy the rare opportunity to shape the college as it continues to grow into a cornerstone of higher education in Southern Nevada.
NSC serves approximately 3,800 students who are highly diverse and largely underserved; a majority of our students are nontraditional, first generation, or racial/ethnic minorities. As a teaching-oriented institution, we focus on high-quality instruction, engaging learning experiences, and creative techniques to improve student learning. We seek a colleague who is passionate about teaching and wants to make a lasting impact developing our young institution.
The Interdisciplinary Studies major is housed in the multidisciplinary Humanities department. You will help shape the BA/BS degree in Interdisciplinary Studies at this young and dynamic institution. You will work in technology-rich facilities (which include Symposium and lecture recording technology) and are encouraged to explore creative ideas and techniques to improve student learning.
At Nevada State College, we celebrate the storied backgrounds of our campus community. We operate with a shared commitment to represent and serve the diverse population of Nevada and to encourage the exchange of ideas that respects and honors the lived experiences of our students, staff, and faculty. We foster a culture of inclusive excellence so our members can live authentically, fully engage, and flourish. To strengthen the college and progress its mission, the college dedicates itself to intentional and ongoing reflection to meet the evolving needs of NSC, the surrounding communities, and the State of Nevada.
- Teach 12 credits at NSC each semester, including at least one section of ISC 300 (Introduction to Interdisciplinary Studies) and one section of ISC 495 (Interdisciplinary Studies Capstone). The remaining classes will be based on your academic specialization and the needs of the college.
- Advise students enrolled in the Interdisciplinary Studies major.
- Approve applications to the BA/BS in Interdisciplinary Studies program.
- Promote the Interdisciplinary Studies major.
- Evaluate curriculum in the various tracks of the BA/BS in Interdisciplinary Studies.
- Serve on departmental and college-wide committees.
Rank and Salary
- Lecturer, renewable contract (non-tenure-track).
- Salary at approximately $40,000 per year (for 9-month appointment). Opportunities for additional overload pay in winter and summer sessions.
- Excellent benefits, including 14.5% retirement match, 11 paid holidays, beginning balance of 30 sick leave days, family educational benefits (applicable at any public institution in Nevada), and three health insurance plans that can be supplemented with flexible spending accounts or health savings accounts.
Minimum Qualifications Required:
- A Master’s degree in any discipline.
- Ability to teach courses in Interdisciplinary Studies.
- Demonstrated excellence in teaching and a genuine interest providing opportunities for a largely underserved student population.
- Experience in online teaching.
- Eligibility to work in the United States (NSC does not sponsor visas for international employees).
- An MA or PhD in Interdisciplinary Studies.
- Experience teaching classes in interdisciplinary studies.