The School of Integrative and Engaged Learning (SIEL) and the Integrative and Engaged Studies Department (IES) at Southern Utah University (https://www.suu.edu/siel/) is building a faculty team of instructors with diverse disciplinary backgrounds to launch our first-year experience program. This is a 10-month, ongoing, and renewable contract position starting in July of 2019, contingent on funding. While this position is not tenure-track, it comes with the opportunity for rank advancement. SUU offers a competitive benefits package, including health care, vision, dental, and retirement. All application materials must be submitted electronically to SUU Human Resources at http://jobs.suu.edu. Review of applicants will begin January 15, 2019. Priority consideration will be given to applicants who meet this deadline; however, the listing will remain open until positions are filled.
General Duties & Responsibilities
- Teach hybrid first-year experience courses (online delivery of content, with face-to-face mentoring and support) and other courses as needed,
- Perform regular first-year experience program outreach to the campus community and other stakeholders,
- Develop curriculum and best practices as the program evolves,
- Contribute to the assessment of program learning outcomes and goals,
- Coordinate curriculum, methods, and assessment information with other institutions in the Utah State System of Higher Education,
- Train, support, coordinate, and evaluate FYE support teams (e.g., TAs, instructors, adjuncts, graduate assistants, and student mentors),
- Other duties as assigned by SIEL and IES supervisors,
- Service expected on IES, SIEL, and/or university committees.
- Master’s Degree or higher (degrees reflected in the following knowledge areas preferred: Fine Arts, Social & Behavioral Sciences, Humanities, Life & Physical Sciences).
- Demonstrated experience in online teaching and face-to-face instruction (higher ed experience preferred).
- Strong interpersonal skills and collegiality.
- The ability to thrive in a digital environment.
- Experience with engaged learning pedagogies (e.g., high impact practices, experiential learning, digital portfolios, and the like).
Position requires individuals to work on site. Remote applications will not be considered.
Full Time/Part Time: Full Time
Tenure/Non-Tenure Track: Non-Tenure Track
Salary or Salary Range: 40,000
Posting Number: F1600179
Open Until Filled: Yes
Special Instructions to Applicant
Please include the following:
- Cover Letter
- Resume/Curriculum Vitae
- Statement of Teaching Philosophy (including perspectives concerning online instruction)
- Contact Information for at least 3 Professional References
Southern Utah University is committed to maintaining a community which recognizes and values the worth and dignity of every person; fosters tolerance, understanding, and mutual respect among its members; and encourages individual commitment to personal responsibilities in equal measure with personal rights. In pursuit of its goal of academic excellence, the University seeks to develop and nurture diversity. The University believes that diversity among its many members strengthens the institution, stimulates creativity, promotes the exchange of ideas, and enriches campus life.
Southern Utah University does not discriminate against any member of the University community on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability status, veteran status, pregnancy, pregnancy-related condition, genetic information, or other bases protected by applicable law in employment, treatment, admission, access to educational programs and activities, or other University benefits or services.
Apply online at: https://jobs.suu.edu/postings/2246