Under the leadership of the Dean of the School of Continuing Studies, the Bachelor of Arts in Liberal Studies (BALS) Faculty Director will be leading the program during a time of transition.
The Faculty Director will manage all curricular initiatives (creation, monitoring, implementation and evaluation), within the BALS program, and will oversee growth of the BALS program into a national exemplar model of adult, part-time education. The Faculty Director will work with a team of an Assistant Dean, Program Director, and Program Manager, who will provide support across the Liberal Studies portfolio. Under the Faculty Director’s leadership, the programmatic team will be focused on devoting effort to managing administrative practices for students and faculty, communications, and the overall student experience.
- Manage all aspects of the BALS Curriculum.
- Work with Faculty groups to ensure the timeliness of the content and appropriateness of delivery methods for adult students.
- Hire and manage faculty. This will include responsibility for recruiting adjunct faculty as well as building relationships with and recruiting main campus tenured and non-tenured faculty .
- Create academic and program assessment strategies to assure quality of the curriculum and teaching in the core and in the tracks in the BALS program.
- Oversee the creation of online courses in the core and each track, working closely with the SCS Director of Online Operations. This will include being responsible for recruiting and overseeing Subject Matter Experts (SMEs).
- Closely monitor enrollments and student interest and refine and evolve the curriculum, as needed.
- Collaborate with the Dean and colleagues in enrollment management to set enrollment goals for the program.
- Create and manage academic relationships with local community colleges and government agencies.
- Create and/or revise credit articulations with those groups; attend college fairs to promote attendance in the programs.
- Develop meaningful underwriting programs for the BALS program in the appropriate local DC metropolitan areas.
- Collaborate with marketing and enrollment management to articulate the mission and goals of the program and determine the most effective marketing and recruitment strategies
- Collaborate with the Office of Veterans Services to assure that the most effective outreach tactics are employed to draw the military population.
Faculty & Student Experience:
- Create and manage efficient processes related to student activities within the BALS program in alignment with University and SCS policies and procedures, including admission, registration, financial aid, academic and career advising, internship planning, and graduation activities.
- Create and manage efficient processes related to the faculty experience within the BALS program, including: leading the design of educational training programs for faculty to ensure the adherence to quality standards and Jesuit values and Ignatian pedagogy; evaluating faculty performance; and, ensuring the BALS program is in alignment with all policies and procedures regarding faculty life at GU and SCS.
- Serve as the primary escalation point for any student or faculty issues that arise within the BALS program.
- Represent SCS at conferences relating to adult education and Liberal Studies.
- Become an active participant in appropriate associations, and become a recognized thought leader in the area.
- Terminal degree required (PhD preferred)
- Teaching experience required
- Experience with an adult student population preferred
- Curriculum development and oversight experience preferred
- Experience with technology-mediated education preferred
- Experience recruiting and managing faculty preferred
Please submit the following information as part of your application to firstname.lastname@example.org with a subject line of “BALS Faculty Director Search”:
Cover letter/statement of interest
Copies of syllabi for two relevant courses
Georgetown University is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer fully dedicated to achieving a diverse faculty and staff. All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, sex, sexual orientation, age, religion, national origin, marital status, veteran status, disability or other categories protected by law.