Provide excellent instruction in college Language Arts courses and contribute to campus-wide activities by performing functions as listed below.
Classification: Full-Time Faculty
Academic Rank: Instructor
Salary: Commensurate with Qualifications and Experience, plus Fringe Benefits
Appointment: 10-month appointment
Description of Duties and Tasks:
General Job Functions
1. Demonstrate scholarly standards of academic excellence and rigor and exhibit the traits befitting that of a distinguished faculty member.
2. Demonstrate experience and/or willingness to learn and use state-of-the-art technology in the delivery of instruction and other office duties.
3. Demonstrate awareness of and sensitivity to cultural diversity as it impacts curricula and instructional practices and show a willingness to work effectively in a culturally diverse workplace and not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, genetic information, age, religion, disability, political beliefs, or status as a veteran.
4. Support the mission of the college.
5. Promote and maintain a positive attitude of service toward students, coworkers and others.
6. Participate in community service activities and programs.
7. Promote and support service learning activities.
8. Develop and use assessment of student learning methods at least every two weeks and contribute to campus-wide assessment projects.
9. Use appropriate evaluation instruments to measure student progress at specified intervals.
10. Submit assessment data into Taskstream course management software each semester and make modifications to teaching methods as needed.
11. Maintain in coordination with other department faculty (adjunct and fulltime) an up-to-date, complete, and well-organized syllabus for each course taught as set forth by the office of Academic Affairs.
12. Develop and maintain curricula that appropriately reflect current knowledge in the discipline and are in alignment with department curriculum guidelines.
13. Follow MSC Language Arts syllabus template requirements.
14. Cooperate with departmental faculty in the selection of textbooks and teaching materials.
15. Maintain a minimum of six scheduled office hours. Provide flexible office hours by appointment to accommodate students’ schedules when necessary.
16. Encourage the use of tutors.
17. Incorporate the use of the MSC library and make recommendations for library purchases.
18. Assist in recommending purchases and maintaining an accurate inventory of all equipment and supplies.
19. Actively support clubs and extra-curricular activities.
20. Serve on and contribute to campus-wide committees.
21. Support the President’s Scholars Program.
22. Implement strategies to enhance college recruitment, retention, and graduation rates.
23. Participate in applicable professional development activities, including the All Employee Meetings.
24. Carry out assigned duties and responsibilities and duties associated with the annual interscholastic contest.
25. Following institutional policy, efficiently use a work study position(s) (when available) to help in the accomplishment of other general responsibilities.
26. Serve as a mentor to adjunct faculty.
27. Provide instruction to distance learning sites if needed.
28. Participate in strategic planning initiatives (including Taskstream) and align instructional, program, and departmental goals with the MSC Strategic Plan.
29. Contribute to the overall institutional focus to perpetuate student success.
30. Support the institutional General Education program.
31. Perform other duties as may be assigned by supervisors.
Specific Job Functions
1. Teach a minimum of 15 semester credit or equivalent hours in primarily in English composition but may include developmental English, creative writing, and literature courses.
2. Provide submissions or encourage submissions of student work for the MSC creative works anthology.
3. Monitor quality and coverage in courses taught by adjunct faculty as assigned.
4. Serve as an academic advisor for a portion of the Language Arts Department majors.
5. Select, train and supervise peer tutor position(s) in English.
6. Prior to or upon employment complete mandatory NIMS (National Incident Management System) training modules IS-100.HE; IS-700.a; through the Department of Homeland Security as directed by MSC administrative staff and campus police.
Other Ergonomic Requirements:
Performance of job functions related to instruction requires some amount of stooping, reaching, lifting, walking, and carrying of supplies and light equipment. All individuals are required to be able to perform the movements without significant risk of injury to themselves or others, or to otherwise demonstrate or explain how they can perform the essential functions of the job.
Generally, Monday through Friday hours will be 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. (40 hours). Evening classes will be assigned as needed on the MSC Tishomingo and Ardmore campuses. In the event of evening classes, release time will be scheduled during the normal workday. Other professional activities may be scheduled in accordance with college policy and in cooperation with the Division Chair and the Office of Academic Affairs.
1. Minimum Educational Qualification: Master’s degree in English, English Education, or related degree with a minimum of 18 graduate hours in English.
2. Preferred Educational Qualifications: Good academic background in writing and literature with at least thirty graduate hours in English and demonstrated competence in critical thinking through completion of a research thesis.
3. Preferred Experience: At least two years of verified successful teaching experience in college-level English and/or a willingness to participate, within the first two years, in an approved teaching effectiveness program resulting in an acceptable level of teaching performance in the classroom and/or laboratory.
4. Licenses: Valid Oklahoma Driver’s License, or willingness to obtain.
5. Professionalism: Employees of MSC are expected to demonstrate dedication to teaching and to show professional competence, integrity, and enthusiasm in the performance of all responsibilities.
6. Image: MSC employees are expected to maintain a neat, well groomed, and professional image at all times.
7. Background Check: The successful candidate must give permission to have a formal background check conducted prior to employment for this position.
Applicants must provide the following:
- Letter of Application
- Three (3) letters of employment recommendation.
- Unofficial college transcript(s). NOTE: Official transcript(s) required upon employment.
- Murray State College employment application.
Mail or deliver application to:
Human Resources Office
Murray State College
One Murray Campus, Suite AD 104
Tishomingo, OK 73460
Telephone Number: 580-387-7131