The Department of Political Science and Geography at The University of Texas at San Antonio (UTSA) invites applications for a tenured faculty position beginning Fall 2018 at the Associate or Full Professor level to serve as the Department Chair. The position is a 12-month appointment that includes full administrative and leadership responsibilities for a department offering B.A. and M.A. degree programs in Political Science, Global Affairs, Politics and Law, and Geography/Environmental Sustainability.
The Department is in UTSA’s College of Liberal and Fine Arts and is home to approximately 570 undergraduate and graduate majors, 18 T/TT faculty, and several adjunct faculty focused on research and instructional missions. Faculty are actively engaged in areas of individual and collaborative research leading to publication in such areas as Latin American governance; Middle East, Asian and European political developments; security regimes; national security and intelligence; cyber security and politics; political communications; federal justice policies; race and gender issues; human migration patterns; and political and policy research using geographic information systems. The Department is actively engaged in pursuing internal and collaborative research grants in some of these areas. We are especially interested in candidates with a research and teaching portfolio in political theory and who considers major theoretical questions underlying contemporary social, political, economic, and policy issues.
Responsibilities Include: overseeing departmental organization, administration (including curricular and fiscal management), program development and leadership, supervision and evaluation of faculty and staff, communications with internal and external constituents, pursuit of grant opportunities, and participation in teaching, research, and scholarly publication.
Special Notes To Applicants:
Note 1: All candidates must apply electronically and submit information/ materials associated via the UTSA jobs website: https://jobs.utsa.edu/. In PDF format, applicants should submit the following items:
1. Letter of application that states the rank for which the candidate is applying, teaching experiences, research interests, and focus on position qualifications
2. Current curriculum vita
3. Statement of Research
4. Statement of Teaching
5. Statement of Separate statements on research, teaching, and leadership
6. Copies of all graduate transcripts
7. Representative samples of scholarly work (no more than three);
8. Two representative samples of syllabi for courses taught or proposed by the applicant;
9. Teaching evaluations (if available or other evidence of course instruction evaluation);
10. Reference List: Names, addresses, telephone numbers, and email addresses of three references who are familiar with the applicant’s administrative experiences, scholarship, and teaching and can be contacted to provide letters of recommendation.
Note 2: Review of applications will continue until the position is filled.
Note 3: Applicants who are selected for interviews must be able to show proof that they will be eligible and qualified to work in the United States by time of hire.
Note 4: UTSA is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer; minorities, women, veterans, and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
Note 5: This is a security sensitive position. Employment is contingent upon a successful background check.
Note 6: Based on qualifications, will hire at the Associate or Full Professor level.
Note 7: Tenure is contingent upon Board of Regents approval.