Classification Title: FAC/0/Exempt/No
Posting Number: 0601278
Position Type: Full-Time
Department: Law Enforcement
Oversees daily operations, instructs, and supervises classes in the Criminal Justice Department.
An earned Master’s degree in Criminal Justice or similar discipline from a regionally accredited institution, or an earned Master’s degree plus 18 graduate hours in Criminal Justice or similar discipline.
Specific Position Duties:
- Maintains up-to-date knowledge in the teaching field;
- Demonstrates willingness and ability to teach various courses, times, locations, and delivery methods, as needed and as reasonably requested by the college;
- Teach dual credit and OCTECHS (early college high school) courses;
- Utilizes appropriately challenging coursework to help students realize their full potential as learners;
- Provides students with written expectations, e.g., syllabi, policies, assignment instructions, graded evaluations, etc.;
- Administers tests which are appropriate to course content, including a comprehensive final exam measuring overall grasp of course objectives;
- By various ways and means of instructing students, affirms the worth and dignity of all persons and the right of all persons to learn;
- Maintains an appropriate learning and assessment climate in the classroom, whether traditional, web, or distance, which encourages the free exchange of ideas while defending academic honesty and objectivity;
- Prepares adequately for class and arrives promptly at class meetings, labs, and any other scheduled instructional activities;
- Delivers material in a clear and understandable manner;
- Addresses student concerns, i.e., comments, questions, and input, both in class and via posted office hours, timely electronic communication, and other suitable means.
- Effectively handles routine procedures necessary for the successful, day-to-day operation of the department as delegated by the department chair.
- Submits required reports and schedules in a timely manner to the department chair.
- Follows the chain of command when addressing division, department, and student concerns.
- Maintains effective relationships with professional counterparts throughout the college and the community.
- Works well with Advisory Committee utilizing community representatives in recruiting and other departmental needs as appropriate.
- Maintains individual student advisement on degree plans and degree applications in order to comply with completion requirements.
- Assists with recruiting, marketing, and outreach for department programs.
- Actively participates in college functions and events, and engages in community service.