Provide vision and leadership for the Department of Human Sciences and facilitate the department’s efforts to achieve excellence and increase prominence for faculty, staff and students.
SCOPE OF RESPONSIBILITY:
- Establish and implement procedures within the university guidelines for the recruitment of new faculty;
- Counsel and guide faculty encouraging outstanding teaching, research and outreach activities;
- Promote faculty professional development;
- Enforce faculty responsibilities and rights;
- Conduct periodic appraisal for recommending reappointments, tenure, promotion and salary adjustment;
- Foster research, scholarly activities and community outreach; and
- Foster interpersonal and professional relations among department faculty.
- Ensure that proper curricular and career advice is available to all students majoring and taking courses within the department;
- Monitor students’ scholarship and progress towards degree attainment;
- Response to student grievances and grade appeals; and
- Coordinate active plans for recruitment and retention of students.
Curriculum and Programs
- Establish departmental mission statements, priorities, objectives that align with the university mission and that of the accrediting body;
- Conduct periodic programmatic reviews to track the department’s progress on accreditation indicators;
- Ensure program quality and accreditation standards are maintained;
- Establish department policies in cooperation with faculty related to curriculum content and changes, instructional standards, evaluation methods, textbooks and course syllabi;
- Plan and present course schedules;
- Appoint faculty members to co-curricular responsibilities with recommended release time; and
- Review syllabi to assure alignment and implementation of FCS Body of Knowledge within course content.
Budgets and Instructional Resources
- Report to the Dean for fiscal management of departmental accounts;
- Manage departmental facilities and instructional resources;
- Recommend faculty and staff salaries to the Dean of the School of Agriculture and Applied Sciences within the limits imposed by the university salary schedules;
- Prepare, present, receive and administer the departmental budgets;
- Handle responsibility for departmental liaison with university offices dealing with particular fiscal matters and activities;
- Plan for long-range financing for special programs and activities;
- Write and review funding proposals in cooperation with faculty;
- Administrate and evaluate proposals or projects as the department’s chief administrator; and
- Ensure all budgetary operations conform to institutional and governing board guidelines and policies.
- Convey university policies, procedures and actions to the department;
- Represent the department within the university and with off-campus organizations;
- Present departmental policies, procedures and actions to the students; and
- Work closely with alumni.
- Administer departmental facilities; hiring, supervising and evaluating department staff, and establish the department office procedures;
- Practice sound management procedures that demonstrate respect for personnel; and
- Follow university protocol for handling grievances and departmental issues.
- Provide professional leadership and example in the department
- Maintain and demonstrate competence in teaching, research and professional activities
- Provide faculty and staff with professional development opportunities
- Meet eligibility requirements for Associate or Full Professor Rank
1. Carry out other duties as assigned by Dean of the School of Agriculture and Applied Sciences.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Management (Representation, coordination, planning, advocating, delegating, recruiting, recommending, and supervising)
- Innovation and Leadership (entrepreneurial work, evaluation, motivation, problem solving, interpersonal relationships such as advising, mediating, negotiating, and mentoring)
- Structure/Organization (policies, procedures, committees)
- Community Outreach and Service