Founded in 1888 and located in Boston, MA, Wheelock College is a private institution with the public mission of improving lives of children and their families. The College fulfills this mission by providing a strong education in the arts and sciences and in its professional fields – education, child and family studies, and social work – for which its undergraduate and graduate programs are nationally and internationally recognized. Throughout its academic programs and student experience, the College reflects the multicultural dimensions of the communities and countries in which it operates and fosters diverse learning experiences – all of which contributes to the success, leadership, and impact that its graduates enjoy in a wide variety of careers.
Summary: The Wheelock College Bachelors in Social Work Program has been educating entry-level, professional social workers for over 30 years. The MSW program began in 2000, and has been accredited on a continuous basis since 2003. The social work programs are justice-based in all aspects of the curriculum, with an emphasis on the strengths perspective, and partnered practice that is family-centered, empowerment-based and collaboratively-oriented.
Successful candidates for this one-year contract position will be clearly oriented to human rights and social and economic justice as the mission of social work and will be committed to the college’s mission of educating students to improve the lives of children and families through the use of strengths-based approaches to education and practice in an urban, multicultural environment. We embrace diversity and inclusion, and seek to recruit qualified applicants from all backgrounds and actively encourage applicants from underrepresented groups.
- Teach primarily in the BSW program
- September 2017-June 2018 contract, 7 course load over 2 semesters
- Teach in two or more areas of social work education (research, HBSE, practice, field, dynamics of oppression and privilege, or policy)
- Build collaborative relationships with a strong and creative faculty with diverse interests
- Advance human rights and social and economic justice through social work education
- Perform service to the department
- Take part in department meetings, workgroups, and curriculum work
- Perform service to the profession
Required Qualifications for the Position:
- MSW from a CSWE-accredited program
- At least two years post-MSW practice experience
- Demonstrated excellence in teaching at the BSW or MSW level
- Teaching experience in urban, multicultural environments
Preferred Qualifications for the Position:
- Experience in quantitative and qualitative research methods
- Earned doctorate or ABD status in Social Work or a closely related field, preferred
- Post-MSW experience in community based, intergenerational, or family-centered practice or scholarship
- Experience/interest in any of the following areas: early childhood mental health; school social work; family & community corrections; or, advanced group work practice
Please submit a cover letter describing your interest and qualifications for the position, a curriculum vita, two sets of course evaluations with a brief narrative, and the names, addresses and telephone numbers of three (3) references.
Review of applications will begin immediately and the position will remain open until filled. Wheelock College is an EEO/Affirmative Action Employer and a member of the Colleges of the Fenway Consortium.
200 The Riverway
Boston, MA 02215