Plymouth State University (PSU) is seeking a faculty member to join the faculty of a vibrant and innovative academic program.
The Interdisciplinary Studies program is a part of the Open Learning & Teaching Collaborative, a dynamic university hub focused on developing innovative and learner-centered pedagogical approaches. In particular, the Open CoLab focuses on the key pedagogies at the heart of the integrated cluster initiative: open learning, project-based learning, and interdisciplinary learning. The Asst. Prof/Director of Interdisciplinary Studies (IDS) directs and has primary teaching responsibilities in a customized major program nationally known for its innovative approach to curriculum and teaching. In addition, s/he actively works to share informed practice across the university, to guide Plymouth State in its efforts to develop initiatives related to cluster pedagogy. The IDS program is not only highly interdisciplinary, it is also oriented towards open pedagogy, and the successful candidate will be an institutional leader around promoting: access to knowledge, learner-driven approaches to education, and connected and networked learning.
Qualified candidates have a terminal degree in Interdisciplinary Studies, in an interdisciplinary field of study, or in a traditional academic discipline; in all cases, research and teaching should indicate significant scholarly and professional interdisciplinary investments.
This is a 9-month tenure track position with potential for a small additional stipend paid for limited administrative duties in the summer.
Applicants should be prepared to upload the following documents at the time of application:
- Letter of application outlining background, qualifications and vision for the position
- Curriculum vitae
- Teaching philosophy statement
- Research and scholarship agenda statement
- Three (3) current professional written letters of recommendation*
Copies of graduate transcripts
- Request for recommendation letters are automated and will be sent out at the time application. Applicants will be required to provide contact name and email address for references.
Posting Number/Job Order #: PF0249FY19
Acceptable Minimum Qualifications
- Doctoral degree in Interdisciplinary Studies or other academic field (ABD will be considered)
- Proven record of, or the ability to articulate and develop, an active research and scholarship agenda in interdisciplinary teaching and learning
- Excellent written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills
- 3 years of teaching at the college level (teaching as an adjunct or graduate student will apply)
- Desire to work as part of a team in Interdisciplinary Studies and in the Open CoLab
Additional Preferred Qualifications
- Record of collaborative commitment to public higher education
- Experience with open pedagogy, connected learning, and/or project-based learning
PSU provides a competitive salary, commensurate with experience and offers a comprehensive benefit program.
Appointment Type: Regular
This position is responsible for the supervision of
Professional, Administrative, and Technical , Operating Staff , Adjunct Staff , Students
A background check will be required as a condition of employment.
The University System of New Hampshire is an Equal Opportunity/Equal Access/Affirmative Action employer. The University System is committed to creating an environment that values and supports diversity and inclusiveness across our campus communities and encourages applications from qualified individuals who will help us achieve this mission. The University System prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, veteran status, or marital status. Application by members of all underrepresented groups is encouraged. Hiring is contingent upon eligibility to work in the U.S.
Special Instructions to Applicants
INTERFOLIO USERS: If using Interfolio to submit letters of reference, please follow the special instructions at this link:https://support.interfolio.com/m/29600/l/266335-submit-a-letter-of-recommendation-to-interfolio.