The Hampton University Department of English and Foreign Languages within the School of Liberal Arts invites applications for one full-time, 9 month faculty position at the rank of ASSISTANT PROFESSOR beginning August 2017. The faculty member reports to the Department Chair.
Duties and Responsibilities
The faculty will be responsible for the following duties:
- Teaching undergraduate (and Portuguese if needed) courses in both face-to-face and online formats;
- Recruiting and advising students and maintaining excellent student records;
- Pursuing an active research/publication agenda;
- Providing service to the University, community, and higher education profession; and
- Performing other duties as assigned by the Chairperson, Assistant Dean, and Dean.
All candidates should have an earned degree in the language of their field from an accredited university. Preference will be given to candidates who have previously taught on the college level. A minimum of three years of teaching experience in a pre-k through 12 classroom or college level is required.
Successful candidates should be productive scholars with a strong record of teaching, funded research and publications. Candidates are also expected to have appropriate professional service commensurate with rank and a commitment to teaching. Preference will be given to candidates who speak and teach another language and who have demonstrated expertise in one or more of the areas listed below:
- Spanish Language Arts,
- Working with diverse populations;
- Distance and Online Learning;
- Curriculum Development;
- Utilizing instructional technology; and
- Willingness to adopt new and emerging technologies.
Candidates should also have experience in utilizing instructional technology in the classroom or online adaptations and a willingness to adopt new and emerging technologies.
The successful candidate must be committed to teaching, research, grantsmanship, and service.
How to Apply
Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled. All qualified candidates should submit a cover letter, curriculum vitae, a list of grants received, statement of teaching philosophy and research interests, recent teaching evaluations, and a transcript from the institution awarding the highest degree. Applications may be emailed to: email@example.com AND/OR
Dr. Karima K. Jeffrey, Interim Chair
Department of English and Foreign Languages
School of Liberal Arts and Education
Hampton, Virginia 23668
ATTN: P. Brunson
- Hampton University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer.