The Assistant Professor of Philosophy is a full-time, tenure-track faculty position. Area of expertise is open. The duties include teaching assignments, student advising, curriculum development, professional development and research, university service, and other duties as assigned in accordance with the faculty handbook. Ability to develop courses for and engage first-year students is highly desirable.
- A PhD in Philosophy or related field is required. ABDs will be considered and are encouraged to apply.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills.
- Previous college-level teaching experience and a demonstrated commitment to teaching.
- Previous experience with undergraduate research.
- Ability to also teach World Religions and other religion courses.
- Teach courses in the Philosophy major. Courses may include Introduction to Philosophy, Ethics, Biomedical Ethics, History of Philosophy, and upper-level courses in area of expertise.
- Advise students by providing academic guidance, support for development of professional practice skills, and other assistance.
- Participate in the development and evaluation of academic program curricula.
- Perform various administrative duties as required or assigned.
- Assist in the development and mentorship of student research.
- Participate in professional development activities.
- Provide service to the university, including serving on university committees as assigned.
- Participate in student recruitment and retention efforts.
- Adhere to university policies and procedures.
- Work collegially and professionally with students, employees, and external constituents.
- Demonstrate support for and engagement with Finlandia’s strategic vision to become more fully a whole learning community accompanying the whole student toward a whole life.
- Perform other duties as required, as assigned by supervisor, or in accordance with the faculty handbook.
E-mail or mail cover letter, curriculum vitae, statement of teaching philosophy, letters of recommendation from three professional references, copies of graduate transcripts, and supporting materials (i.e., teaching evaluations, teaching portfolio) to:
Administrative Assistant, Suomi College of Arts & Sciences
601 Quincy St.
Hancock, MI 49930
Review of application will continue until the position is filled.