The successful candidate will fulfill the customary duties of a full time faculty member at Alcorn State University, including but not limited to teaching a 4/4 load per academic year, comprised of composition courses, sophomore literature courses and upper level English courses.
Scope of Responsibilities
Faculty responsibilities include teaching a 4/4 load, being available to students for conferences and advising, participating in faculty governance and service to the university, and producing scholarship commensurate with rank and teaching responsibilities.
Essential Job Functions
- Meet all scheduled classes on time;
- Maintain approved office hours;
- Attend faculty and committee meetings as required;
- Participate in departmental governance;
- Produce scholarship as required;
- Manage classroom skillfully;
- Attend special university functions as required.
Knowledge Skills and Abilities
- Ability to use software such as Word, Excel, and Learning Management Systems
- Ability to communicate effectively
- Excellent organizational skills
- Experience in working with low income and first generation students
- A Ph.D. in English is required, with specialties in British Literature and Rhetoric & Comp preferred. Also preferred is evidence of effective college-level teaching in English.