The Department of Humanities at Coppin State University invites applications for a tenure-track appointment at the rank of Assistant Professor in the area of History for the Winter 2019 semester. Applicants should have prior teaching experience in higher education and a diverse teaching portfolio. The applicant will teach in the History Program which houses the General Education courses: United States History I&II, African American History I&II, World History I&II, and African History. There are also opportunities available for teaching online, evenings, weekends, and during the winter/summer terms. The successful candidate will be prepared to contribute to the department’s current program of study in history, and to further the program’s commitment to increasing and fostering diversity in our campus community. Services to the campus, community and the profession is expected, in addition to demonstrated teaching excellence and continuing scholarship.
The Humanities Department (in the College of Arts and Sciences, and Education) offers a major in History, with concentrations in United States and African American history. The full-time faculty teaching load is 4/4.
The successful candidate will demonstrate an active research agenda as demonstrated by publications, works in progress and/or presentations, as well as promise of excellence teaching as demonstrated by student evaluations, peer reviews, or supervisors’ comments; be ready to teach undergraduate survey courses, and help shape a strong Digital and Public History core.
- PhD in History or related field by the time of appointment required.
- Ability to teach introductory courses in the History General Education curriculum and a strong background in teaching with technology is required.
- Knowledge of higher education online course management system (i.e., Blackboard) is required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- Program and project collaboration with faculty is a plus.
- Ability to work with diverse and minority populations is preferred.