This position is in the College of Education, Humanities, and Behavioral Sciences. This is a full-time, 9-month, position in the Department of English and Foreign Languages. This position is considered a specialist in American Literature with broad teaching interests. Teaching expectations include composition and world literature in addition to the upper-division courses in American literature. Additionally, there are opportunities for teaching courses in the Africana Studies or Spanish/Latin American Studies concentrations within the Cultural Studies program.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Teach four (4) courses per semester
- Serve on department and college committees
- Participate in recruitment and retention activities
- Facilitate extra-curricular activities
- Perform other duties as assigned
Minimum Position Requirements (including years of experience, certifications, licenses, etc.):
- PhD in English or a closely-related field
- At least one (1) year of teaching experience at the college level that includes freshman composition
- Evidence of excellence in teaching, including student evaluations or student comments
- Knowledge of composition studies a plus.
- Expertise in one or more of the following additional areas: Caribbean literature, comparative ethnic studies, literature of the Americas, and/or world literatures is a plus.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Demonstrated excellence in teaching at the university level
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively with university colleagues within a diverse environment
- Ability to be adaptable, collegial, and dedicated to student-centered and writing intensive teaching