The OBU Modern Language Department invites applications for a full-time, tenure-track professor who can teach both core and upper-division Spanish courses.
Essential Functions include, but are not limited to:
- The ideal candidate must demonstrate native or near-native proficiency in Spanish.
- Teaching duties include beginning and intermediate Spanish courses, and upper-division offerings in literature, language, or culture.
- Candidate will be a strong generalist, with a specialty in either Peninsular or Latin American literature.
- Student advising and departmental duties as assigned
- Participate in divisional duties as assigned
- Remain professionally active – attend appropriate conference at all levels, present programs, papers as appropriate, submit journal articles for review and publication, conduct quality research, stay current on latest changes in field
- Participate within the campus community, serving on committees as assigned
- Participate fully in campus faculty development opportunities
- Represent the University, College, and Division at the state, regional , or national level
- Assist in recruiting students to the Spanish major.
Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities:
- Strong commitment to undergraduate teaching in both the core and the major/minor
- Near-native proficiency in spoken and written Spanish
- Expertise in the literature and culture of the Spanish-speaking world
- Understanding of foreign-language pedagogy
- Ability to adapt instruction to a variety of learners
- Willingness and ability to advise students
- Proficiency with commonly-used classroom and office technologies
- Ability to relate well to colleagues within the OBU community and to represent the university to our various constituencies beyond OBU
- Required: M.A. in Spanish.
- Preferred: Ph.D. in Spanish. ABD considered
- Required: Successful experience teaching Spanish at the high school or college level
- Preferred: Successful full-time or adjunct experience teaching college-level Spanish
- Be proficient in office technology, office software, and classroom presentation software.
- Able to operate computer and other equipment, answer telephone, direct telephone calls, and communicate effectively.
- Sufficient mobility and physical stamina to conduct 2 to 3 classes back to back; climb stairs; walk about the campus to visit various offices; travel to local, regional, and national locations; and transport moderately heavy items to offices and classrooms.
- Commitment to the vision and mission of Oklahoma Baptist University
- An active member in a local evangelical church
Applicants must submit a letter of application, and OBU Faculty application form: http://www.okbu.edu/businessaffairs/hr/forms.html , Statement of Faith, vita, three current letters of recommendation, and graduate transcripts. Review will begin immediately and continue until position is filled. Scan completed application along with other requested materials and send to firstname.lastname@example.org.