DEPARTMENT: Department of Humanities, School of Arts and Sciences
POSITION SUMMARY: This is an appointment for a full-time tenure-track Assistant or Associate Professor of Foreign Language and Linguistics position (rank depending upon qualifications). We seek a candidate with an earned Ph.D. in Language, Linguistics, or related area. Appointment anticipated to begin fall semester 2018.
RESPONSIBILITIES: All faculty positions include a minimum of a 12-credit teaching load (may include online, web-based, or interactive video instruction and/or courses at off-campus locations), academic advising, as well as participation in school committees and College governance. The preferred candidate will be able to teach Elementary Spanish, Elementary French and other language courses as needed and qualified.
All faculty are expected to:
- Take a supportive interest in the academic progress of each of his/her students.
- Meet with his/her classes as scheduled. In case a faculty member is kept from his/her duties by illness or other legitimate reason, the faculty member must inform the respective Dean in advance, if possible, so that arrangements can be made for assignments or a substitute instructor.
- Maintain adequate office hours as assigned so that he/she may be available to the students for conferences to assist students toward achieving student success.
- Participate in the faculty-student advisory program.
- Keep abreast of his/her academic discipline through continuing study, and/or active participation of his/her professional organizations.
- Continuously strive to improve the effectiveness of his/her teaching.
- Keep accurate records of grades and other information required by the Deans, Registrar, Provost, President and any other administrator as may be appropriate.
- Attend all faculty meetings of the college and the respective school in which the faculty teaches.
- Attend commencement and convocations and to cooperate fully with the BSC Board of Governors, the President, the Provost and the Dean in promoting the interests of Bluefield State College and the respective School.
MINIMUM REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS: Applicants must have an earned Ph.D. in Language, Linguistics, or related area. Experience teaching Spanish at the college or university level is required. Experience in teaching linguistics is preferred.
COMPENSATION: Salary is commensurate with qualifications and experience. Position is dependent upon available funding.
THE COLLEGE: The mission of Bluefield State College is to provide students an affordable, accessible opportunity for public higher education. A historically black institution, Bluefield State College prepares students for diverse professions, graduate study, informed citizenship, community involvement, and public service in an ever-changing global society. More information about the College is available at www.bluefieldstate.edu
APPLICATION PROCEDURE: Completed applications are to be submitted in electronic format only to email@example.com and must include:
- Letter of interest specific to the position;
- A completed BSC Employment Application (form available at https://www.bluefieldstate.edu/jobs);
- Contact information for at least three professional references; and
- Transcripts (unofficial transcripts are acceptable for the application process; official transcripts will be required of the selected candidate).